NerdSoup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss Series 10

+4
DoctorWho69
MarthaJonesFan
VirtualDalek
Cromwell
8 posters

Go down

Discuss Series 10 Empty Discuss Series 10

Post  Cromwell Thu 04 Aug 2016, 14:57

Discuss the up coming series of Doctor Who, the tenth of the revived show.
Cromwell
Cromwell
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Discuss Series 10 Empty Re: Discuss Series 10

Post  VirtualDalek Thu 04 Aug 2016, 15:32

Highly enjoyed series 9, hoping for more great stories. As for Bill, her introduction short was awful, I sincerely hope she isn't that bad in the actual episodes.
VirtualDalek
VirtualDalek

Job/hobbies : Making a mess and blaming someone else
Fav' Movie Character : Johnny English

https://www.youtube.com/user/virtualdalek

Back to top Go down

Post  MarthaJonesFan Fri 05 Aug 2016, 01:16

Bill has potential from the introduction video I think, so I'm excited to see how they develop her character over series 10. I'm hoping for a few relatively light hearted episodes, a la Tennant/Tate!
MarthaJonesFan
MarthaJonesFan
User

Fav' Movie Character : n/a

http://meetthevamps.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  DoctorWho69 Sat 06 Aug 2016, 15:04

I'm looking forward to S10, though I've no idea why they decided to bring back Nardole... He was a fun one-off character in the Christmas special, but I can't imagine him as a regular - then again, that's what a lot of people said about Donna back in 2008 and she was brilliant, so I'm reserving judgement. Bill looks like she could be good but again, don't really want to judge off the small clip shown.
DoctorWho69
DoctorWho69
User

Fav' Movie Character : James Bond

Back to top Go down

Post  NigelFromSpace Sat 06 Aug 2016, 15:06

im looking forward to it though im worried that there might be abm episode that shows our freredom from the evil european union to be a bad thing because Moffat is scotch and probably licks nicola sturgeon who wants to destory all that is british and stay with the eu. Sad
NigelFromSpace
NigelFromSpace
User

Fav' Movie Character : Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeyard Sat 06 Aug 2016, 15:08

So far, Bill seems fine enough. From what little I've seen, I think she'll be better than Clara, because Bill seems to have a personality.  LOL  Reserving judgement on Nardole, average character for me. Smile But I am looking forward to Series 10, definitely. Hope that all loose ends are tied up nicely. Very Happy

~Valeyard
Valeyard
Valeyard
User

Job/hobbies : Student

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Mon 08 Aug 2016, 13:55

I wrote this yesterday, which is about how I'd really like to see *Doctor Who* shift its focus to be a little more worldwide in terms of its scope and scale. You know, not just limiting things to London - let's go to China, or Japan, or India, or Russia, and so on and so forth. Some of the most exciting stories over the past few years have been ones where they get around the globe a little bit more - it was great having those Matt Smith stories set in America, for a change - so it'd be really nice if they could keep doing that.

Specifically I'd love to see some non-Western cultures, actually; that'd be fantastic.

The Professor
User

Job/hobbies : Writer
Fav' Movie Character : ???

Back to top Go down

Post  Umbridge Mon 08 Aug 2016, 16:38

The Professor wrote:I wrote this yesterday, which is about how I'd really like to see *Doctor Who* shift its focus to be a little more worldwide in terms of its scope and scale. You know, not just limiting things to London - let's go to China, or Japan, or India, or Russia, and so on and so forth. Some of the most exciting stories over the past few years have been ones where they get around the globe a little bit more - it was great having those Matt Smith stories set in America, for a change - so it'd be really nice if they could keep doing that.

Specifically I'd love to see some non-Western cultures, actually; that'd be fantastic.

That's such a great point, I totally agree!!

As for Bill, I have to agree with VirtualDalek, the introduction short was terrible. The dialogue was so, so, so bad and it just felt like another Amy/Clara kind of character. However, of course I'm holding back to see her in Series 10 and reckon she could pull it off. I really hope, as her fashion sense might suggest, that she isn't from modern day. It'd be so awesome if she was from the '80s or something. We want something new, not another 'impossible girl' London 'enigma.' It got old years ago.
Umbridge
Umbridge
Administrator

Job/hobbies : Theology Student
Fav' Movie Character : Darth Vader

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Mon 08 Aug 2016, 17:17

Gotta admit, I felt mostly neutral about the Bill short. The whole sort of post modern, commenting on the genre conventions, style of joke isn't really all that new and clever of an idea anymore, so I hope that's not going to be leaned on too much, but you can sort of understand it when you consider this was aimed at people who wouldn't necessarily be super invested in *Doctor Who*, and probably do think the sink plunger is a bit naff. (It sort of is.)

And, to be honest, I am always excited about new Doctor Who, so I can't bring myself to be too critical.

(Yet!)

The Professor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeyard Sun 21 Aug 2016, 13:41

The Professor wrote:I wrote this yesterday, which is about how I'd really like to see *Doctor Who* shift its focus to be a little more worldwide in terms of its scope and scale. You know, not just limiting things to London - let's go to China, or Japan, or India, or Russia, and so on and so forth. Some of the most exciting stories over the past few years have been ones where they get around the globe a little bit more - it was great having those Matt Smith stories set in America, for a change - so it'd be really nice if they could keep doing that.

I'd love to see it go more worldwide! Very Happy Imagine The Doctor and Bill going to The Russian Revolution, The Vietnam War, Mongol Conquests, why not go risky and visit Hiroshima in 1945 before the atom bomb gets dropped, maybe even the slave trade? It's very risky and controversial, but if The Doctor was present at Kennedy's assassination as mentioned in 'Rose' and can go to The First and Second World Wars, which were absolutely devastating and changed the world, what's stopping him from going out of his comfort zone and giving us an exciting, dramatic and tense adventure, having to choose if he should save people from the bomb, similar to Fires of Pompeii, or having to deal with the consequences of the slave trade? It's risky, but if executed well, it can be memorable, and a highlight of Doctor Who. Smile 
~Valeyard
Valeyard
Valeyard
User

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Sun 21 Aug 2016, 14:00

Hiroshima in 1945 is something I'd absolutely love, to be honest. Nice catch with that!

I've been thinking, with the Vietnam war; I wonder if there's a news based story you could do? It's quite fascinating how the role of televised news had a huge cultural influence in America at the time, and that feels like something that's rife with story potential. Perhaps the Vardans, or some such.

The Professor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeyard Sun 21 Aug 2016, 14:34

The Professor wrote:I've been thinking, with the Vietnam war; I wonder if there's a news based story you could do? It's quite fascinating how the role of televised news had a huge cultural influence in America at the time, and that feels like something that's rife with story potential. Perhaps the Vardans, or some such.

That would work brilliantly as a Big Finish story! Very Happy I see it as a hybrid of 'Wave of Destruction', 'Live 34' and 'The Fearmonger' which would work fantastically on TV! Very Happy

~Valeyard
Valeyard
Valeyard
User

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Sun 21 Aug 2016, 14:48

Hmm, maybe - I'm not sure that a story about visual media would work so well as a radio play, though! It feels like something that could be quite innately television-y, almost pushing RTD's habit of using TV inserts to the fullest possible extent.

No idea what that'd look like. It's exciting to think about, though.

The Professor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeyard Wed 24 Aug 2016, 20:13

So, David Suchet will guest-star in an upcoming episode as 'The Landlord'.
Discuss Series 10 The_la10
Thoughts? Smile

~Valeyard
Valeyard
Valeyard
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeyard Fri 26 Aug 2016, 17:36

NigelFromSpace wrote:im looking forward to it though im worried that there might be abm episode that shows our freredom from the evil european union to be a bad thing because Moffat is scotch and probably licks nicola sturgeon who wants to destory all that is british and stay with the eu. Sad

I wouldn't worry about that too much, Nigel. Smile Doctor Who doesn't tend to focus much on politics, and when they do, it tends to be the politics and laws of Gallifrey and The Time Lords. Smile So I doubt we'll see any Time Lords demanding to leave the Galactic Union or whatever they'd call a space version of The EU. LOL

~Valeyard
Valeyard
Valeyard
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down