NerdSoup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Female Doctor?

5 posters

Go down

A Female Doctor? Empty A Female Doctor?

Post  The Professor Tue 23 Aug 2016, 13:47

Here's that has the potential to generate interesting discussion, though I confess I've never really been convinced by any arguments against the idea.

So. Female Doctor. What are the collective thoughts? 

Personally, I'm all for it - I think that for Capaldi's eventual replacement, who's hopefully a few years away, they should actively look for and specifically cast a woman, not auditioning any men. (Natalie Dormer would be my personal pick.)

In much the same way that casting Capaldi after Matt and David was a good way to shake up the show and bring something new to the table, I think casting Natalie Dormer (or Olivia Coleman, or Gillian Anderson, or Lara Pulver, etc etc etc) would have a similar effect - and a positive one at that! 

After all, as a wise man once said, life depends upon change and renewal...

The Professor
User

Job/hobbies : Writer
Fav' Movie Character : ???

Back to top Go down

A Female Doctor? Empty Re: A Female Doctor?

Post  Valeyard Tue 23 Aug 2016, 14:30

To be honest, no. Just no.

The Doctor is a male character. He has been for over 50 years. Why change that now? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, you know? Smile I also think it's too early to discuss Capaldi's replacement, as he's staying for Series 10 and 11, and I'd love for him to stay for Series 12. Either way, I don't think a Female Doctor is necessary. You have Romana who's just as, if not more, intelligent than The Doctor and more capable. Why not give her a spin-off? I'd definetly watch that! Very Happy

~Valeyard
Valeyard
Valeyard
User

Job/hobbies : Student
Fav' Movie Character : James Bond

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Tue 23 Aug 2016, 14:45

You could just as easily say, though, "The Doctor has been William Hartnell for three years now. Why change that now?". That whole idea of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" seems entirely antithetical to a programme which is constantly changing.

The Doctor is a character for whom change is built into the very core (that was terrible syntax); there's little reason why, considering so much about the character has changed over the years, why this couldn't change as well.

(I'd love Capaldi to stick around for another few years anyway, of course; 5 years or so would be nice!)

The Professor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  SJF Sat 03 Sep 2016, 16:37

The Professor wrote:You could just as easily say, though, "The Doctor has been William Hartnell for three years now. Why change that now?". That whole idea of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" seems entirely antithetical to a programme which is constantly changing.

The Doctor is a character for whom change is built into the very core (that was terrible syntax); there's little reason why, considering so much about the character has changed over the years, why this couldn't change as well.

(I'd love Capaldi to stick around for another few years anyway, of course; 5 years or so would be nice!)

That is slightly different though, they had no choice but to replace Hartnell or end the show, he couldn't continue so they invented the idea of regeneration. I personally think he should stay male but I'm not going to go into a massive hissy fit if he becomes female, I just feel like it's silly to make him female just because they can. If he were to become female, my personal choices for the role would be between Helena Bonham-Carter, Suranne Jones and Miranda Hart.
SJF
SJF
User

Fav' Movie Character : Ahsoka Tano

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Sun 04 Sep 2016, 13:24

Slightly different, true, but the broad strokes are the same: it was a radical reinvention, and a new idea, keeping the show fresh and innovative. Note that they changed William Hartnell into Patrick Troughton; a younger man, with an entirely new take on the part. They could just have easily got in another white-haired, elderly grandfather type figure, playing the same character and never acknowledging the switch in actors. 

By the same token, really, is the fact that this would be a similar reinvention. A female Doctor isn't something you do "just because they can", it's something you do because it brings with it something we've never seen before. And that's when Doctor Who is at it's best - when it's unlike anything we've ever seen.

The Professor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Cromwell Sun 04 Sep 2016, 23:12

Well it would certainly be different. I don't mind either way to be honest; something a bit different to inject a bit of life into the old show wouldn't go amiss I'm sure.  Very Happy
Cromwell
Cromwell
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  DalekEmperor101 Sun 11 Sep 2016, 20:46

My honest answer would be no. 

Doctor Who has been a man and I think should always be a man. And its not because I dont think a woman is capable, there are loads of brilliant actresses that could take on the role with ease.. its just not a good idea. 

The Doctor is an iconic male character, same as James Bond or Indiana Jones or Buck Rogers or James T Kirk. They were all designed as a male role and have all stuck to it. If you made Bond a female, it wouldnt work. It would be James Bond anymore. Though a film could Jane Bond does sound quite fun. I think this is one of the issues of 'Just because you can, doesnt mean you should' I have no issue if the Doctor becomes female. Same as with any Doctor who replaces the last, if they are good ill watch them. If not, there is always the classics Razz

This is one of those debates that could go on for another 50 years. I do think that a female Timelord would be good, but as the Doctor equal and friend, such as Romana. She is a brilliant character and is well deserving of these fantastic female actors to play her.
DalekEmperor101
DalekEmperor101
User

Job/hobbies : Actor/Writer
Fav' Movie Character : Captain Jean Luc Picard

http://whoviansunited.englishboard.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeyard Wed 14 Sep 2016, 23:15

DalekEmperor101 wrote:My honest answer would be no. 

Doctor Who has been a man and I think should always be a man. And its not because I dont think a woman is capable, there are loads of brilliant actresses that could take on the role with ease.. its just not a good idea. 

The Doctor is an iconic male character, same as James Bond or Indiana Jones or Buck Rogers or James T Kirk. They were all designed as a male role and have all stuck to it. If you made Bond a female, it wouldnt work. It would be James Bond anymore. Though a film could Jane Bond does sound quite fun. I think this is one of the issues of 'Just because you can, doesnt mean you should' I have no issue if the Doctor becomes female. Same as with any Doctor who replaces the last, if they are good ill watch them. If not, there is always the classics Razz

This is one of those debates that could go on for another 50 years. I do think that a female Timelord would be good, but as the Doctor equal and friend, such as Romana. She is a brilliant character and is well deserving of these fantastic female actors to play her.

Agreed, DE101. Smile Excellent points and reasons. Smile

~Valeyard
Valeyard
Valeyard
User

Job/hobbies : Student
Fav' Movie Character : James Bond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down