NerdSoup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graphics and Design Work

+4
Valeyard
LarryAPhillips
Minty Cyberman
Pendrin
8 posters

Go down

Graphics and Design Work Empty Graphics and Design Work

Post  Pendrin Sun 07 Aug 2016, 17:51

Hi all,

As you're probably aware, we're having a pretty major overhaul on the graphics side of the forum presently. This is a note firstly to apologise for any inconvenience and/or confusion caused. If you have any concerns or have spotted any bugs, please let us know! Secondly, if you have any suggestions as to how we can enhance the graphics to make this place look less like it was made in 1995 then that would be great too.

I'm opening this topic up for all comments/moans/feedback related to the design work. As a team, we feel it's really important to work with you, our users, to make the forum as slick and functional as possible.

We look forward to hearing from you Big Grin

All the best,
Pendrin and the NS team
Pendrin
Pendrin
Administrator

https://nerdsoup.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Graphics and Design Work Empty Re: Graphics and Design Work

Post  Minty Cyberman Sun 07 Aug 2016, 20:14

As I've suggested to Captain Admin, why can we not have an adult section for the older members to discuss things in that the kiddies might... well, not appreciate? Wink If this had been implemented when I last suggested it, I'm sure the forum would have gone better than it did before.
Minty Cyberman
Minty Cyberman
User

Fav' Movie Character : Rick Blaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrin Sun 07 Aug 2016, 20:20

Minty Cyberman wrote:As I've suggested to Captain Admin, why can we not have an adult section for the older members to discuss things in that the kiddies might... well, not appreciate? Wink If this had been implemented when I last suggested it, I'm sure the forum would have gone better than it did before.
Minty, we have dealt with your request before and the answer remains the same. This forum is suitable for all ages and is not here to be exclusionary towards certain age groups. If you're looking for conversation on more mature topics, then I suggest you look elsewhere.
Pendrin
Pendrin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  LarryAPhillips Sun 07 Aug 2016, 20:40

I think it would look better if the forum wasn't transparent as the background is a bit distracting to the main forum.
LarryAPhillips
LarryAPhillips
User

Fav' Movie Character : Darth Vader

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeyard Sun 07 Aug 2016, 20:46

Love the design! Very Happy But as Larry said, it's a bit transparent, hopefully something can be done about that. Smile

~Valeyard
Valeyard
Valeyard
User

Job/hobbies : Student
Fav' Movie Character : James Bond

Back to top Go down

Post  Umbridge Sun 07 Aug 2016, 21:23

Thanks for your feedback guys!

The forum's transpercy is already at 94% opacity, and if I notch it up any more then you can't see the lovely background design that Pendrin has made, which is kinda the point of the translucency of the body of the forum. But I've just put it up to 96%. That's the best I can get it without it being too opaque to see the background.

Hope that's a little bit better, even if it is only a tiny bit. Razz
Umbridge
Umbridge
Administrator

Job/hobbies : Theology Student

Back to top Go down

Post  MarthaJonesFan Mon 08 Aug 2016, 00:45

I'm loving all the design elements! Nice work guys, I think the forum's looking better than ever right now cheers
MarthaJonesFan
MarthaJonesFan
User

Fav' Movie Character : n/a

http://meetthevamps.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrin Mon 08 Aug 2016, 03:00

MarthaJonesFan wrote:I'm loving all the design elements! Nice work guys, I think the forum's looking better than ever right now cheers

Much appreciated MJF Very Happy

Today saw the addition of new buttons for composing posts a threads - they should be slightly more visually striking compared to the previous text buttons now for ease of use. I've also modernised the buttons on the toolbar at the top of the page, as the defaults were using really outdated logos for some of the social media sites - on that note, be sure to give 'em a test and promote them on your favourite social media platform(s) Wink

Still to come are new buttons for profile links and post manipulation (edit, report, delete etc. buttons) in addition to some snazzy new ranks for staff. If there is demand for it, we may implement a proper ranking system based upon post count for ordinary users.

Happy posting!
Pendrin
Pendrin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Mon 08 Aug 2016, 13:49

Not quite linked to the graphic design stuff, but I had a thought - would it be worth a sort of "general queries/problems" thread being made? Probably in the lobby for news and announcements or something.

We had one on DWFO and it was quite useful - an easy place to ask questions, mention if there were any glitches, get help, etc. It's the sort of place where, say, Minty might ask about the mature corner, or Nigel could ask why his threads were deleted, that sort of thing.

It'd help cut down on any potential spam as the forum grows larger and keep things a bit more neat and tidy, too.

The Professor
User

Job/hobbies : Writer
Fav' Movie Character : ???

Back to top Go down

Post  Cromwell Mon 08 Aug 2016, 13:56

The Professor wrote:Not quite linked to the graphic design stuff, but I had a thought - would it be worth a sort of "general queries/problems" thread being made? Probably in the lobby for news and announcements or something.

We had one on DWFO and it was quite useful - an easy place to ask questions, mention if there were any glitches, get help, etc. It's the sort of place where, say, Minty might ask about the mature corner, or Nigel could ask why his threads were deleted, that sort of thing.

It'd help cut down on any potential spam as the forum grows larger and keep things a bit more neat and tidy, too.

That's not a bad idea TP. I'll get on to it now. 

Back on topic, the design is going very well Pendrin. Like the look of the new reply buttons even if they are a bit big.  Laughing
Cromwell
Cromwell
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Mon 08 Aug 2016, 14:02

Cromwell wrote:That's not a bad idea TP

Please, "Alex" is fine! Or even "Prof". (Maybe I should change it.) 

TP just makes me think of toilet paper.  Razz That acronym never occurred to me!

Back on topic, the design is going very well Pendrin.

Agreed! I'm quite fond of the hexagonal design. Could anyone post the full picture, just so I can see what the middle bit looks like?

The Professor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Cromwell Mon 08 Aug 2016, 14:05

The Professor wrote:
Cromwell wrote:That's not a bad idea TP

Please, "Alex" is fine! Or even "Prof". (Maybe I should change it.) 

TP just makes me think of toilet paper.  Razz That acronym never occurred to me!

Back on topic, the design is going very well Pendrin.

Agreed! I'm quite fond of the hexagonal design. Could anyone post the full picture, just so I can see what the middle bit looks like?

No problem "Prof"  Razz , it is a beautiful piece of work that Pendrin took ages to make. 

Graphics and Design Work Backgr10
Cromwell
Cromwell
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Umbridge Mon 08 Aug 2016, 16:44

Thread moved to new and now more relevant General Queries/Opinions section. Smile
Umbridge
Umbridge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Mon 08 Aug 2016, 16:59

Scary wrote:Thread moved to new and now more relevant General Queries/Opinions section. Smile

It'll be named in my honour, right?  Wink

The full art for the forum background is quite lovely, anyway. I really like that.

The Professor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Umbridge Mon 08 Aug 2016, 17:12

All props to Pendrin! As MJF said, the forum really is looking better than it ever has before! Very Happy
Umbridge
Umbridge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeyard Sun 21 Aug 2016, 20:41

As requested by Cromwell, I did some promotional art for the forum. Could I get some feedback on this forum promo poster from everyone? It'd be greatly appreciated! Very Happy 
Graphics and Design Work Nerdso12

~Valeyard
Valeyard
Valeyard
User

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Sun 21 Aug 2016, 21:17

Hmm. The concept is good, but it needs clearing up and refining. Like, take the text - the columns don't line up, and in a few places it's a bit too squadged together and suchlike. Same is true of a few of the pictures; most notably on Spock, because Leonard Nimoy isn't that thin. It's clear the image has been compressed, and that does the whole thing no favours, really. 

See, I've done this as a sort of proof of concept, to demonstrate what I was talking about; the images are at their natural size, the font is formatted better, so on and so forth. I think yours has better pictures, and generally the banner size works better, but you need to just make sure the images aren't stretched, and that the font is neater.

Graphics and Design Work 886c8618f6c4c81590dfee01f4bc8e17

The Professor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeyard Sun 21 Aug 2016, 21:30

The Professor wrote:Hmm. The concept is good, but it needs clearing up and refining. Like, take the text - the columns don't line up, and in a few places it's a bit too squadged together and suchlike. Same is true of a few of the pictures; most notably on Spock, because Leonard Nimoy isn't that thin. It's clear the image has been compressed, and that does the whole thing no favours, really. 

See, I've done this as a sort of proof of concept, to demonstrate what I was talking about; the images are at their natural size, the font is formatted better, so on and so forth. I think yours has better pictures, and generally the banner size works better, but you need to just make sure the images aren't stretched, and that the font is neater.

Graphics and Design Work 886c8618f6c4c81590dfee01f4bc8e17
That looks excellent Prof! Thank you for your feedback, I'll get around to making another concept soon, as I'm currently busy with other stuff and don't have time to fit Photoshop in just yet. Smile

~Valeyard
Valeyard
Valeyard
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down