NerdSoup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would you like from the new 12th Doctor?

+7
Kevin's Customs
BeepTheMeep
TheIronLad
IRONMAC
tombaker64
The Professor
Pendrin
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thinking about the next person who will play the role of Doctor Who, which of the following do you think it's important that they should be? (Please tick all that apply)

What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_lcap21%What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 12 ]
What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_lcap23%What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_rcap 23% 
[ 13 ]
What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_lcap5%What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]
What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_lcap9%What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 5 ]
What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_lcap9%What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 5 ]
What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_lcap7%What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 4 ]
What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_lcap2%What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_lcap0%What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_lcap2%What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_lcap4%What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_lcap7%What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 4 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 56

What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? Empty What would you like from the new 12th Doctor?

Post  Pendrin Sat 08 Jun 2013, 13:28

Based on the results from the YouGov poll DS08 posted, I wanted to see how we as a community react to it, whether our results are similar or different.
So, as the poll on there says:
"Thinking about the next person who will play the role of Doctor Who, which of the following do you think it's important that they should be? (Please tick all that apply)"
Pendrin
Pendrin
Administrator

https://nerdsoup.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? Empty Re: What would you like from the new 12th Doctor?

Post  The Professor Sat 08 Jun 2013, 14:14

"Heterosexual"

I'm sorry, what?

What?

What?

What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? Tumblr_mainneRBUC1rew2apo1_500_zpse0828b64

The Professor
User

Job/hobbies : Writer
Fav' Movie Character : ???

Back to top Go down

What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? Empty Re: What would you like from the new 12th Doctor?

Post  Pendrin Sat 08 Jun 2013, 14:57

Exactly - not my poll options. I thought it would be interesting to compare even so, so the poll needs to/should be exact.
It's a bit sad really that people really will judge an actor on their sexual preferences. 15 people on the official poll voted that way too. Shame, but this stuff happens. I'm still very tempted to remove it all the same…

I myself have no preference. Certainly I'd expect them to be conservative and go for someone like all the others, but I'm open to something different, hence I voted 'none of the above' - yup, the 'I don't care' option Razz
Pendrin
Pendrin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  tombaker64 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 15:02

I just want him to be British, male and over 40. It would be nice to see an older Doctor in New Who, also there are rumours that the new Doctor may be announced today...
tombaker64
tombaker64
User

Fav' Movie Character : Darth Vader

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Sat 08 Jun 2013, 15:06

>>>It's a bit sad really that people really will judge an actor on their sexual preferences. 15 people on the official poll voted that way too. Shame, but this stuff happens. I'm still very tempted to remove it all the sameā€¦<<<

It's also a little bit sad that someone felt the need to vote that over here... I'd be interested to know why.

And @TomBaker64 - I reccomend Alexander Siddig. He's British (sort of, he's part... Iranian, I think) and 47. (Dr Bashir from Deep Space Nine)

The Professor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  tombaker64 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 15:15

The Professor wrote:And @TomBaker64 - I reccomend Alexander Siddig. He's British (sort of, he's part... Iranian, I think) and 47. (Dr Bashir from Deep Space Nine)
He also played Philip in Primeval if I remember correctly. And I didn't know he played Dr Bashir in ST: DS9, he looks different with a beard. What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? 810156456
tombaker64
tombaker64
User

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Sat 08 Jun 2013, 15:18

Yup, that's the one!

He's just been cast in the BBC's replacement for Merlin (although, I think that might have finished shooting, and the announcement was only recently?) so he probably won't be the 12th Doctor.

Still... if this sets up a good working relationship with the BBC, he can be 13.

The Professor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 08 Jun 2013, 16:16

I don't understand why you'd need the actor to be straight - gay people can play straight characters and vice versa. What is the reasoning behind whoever voted for that on here? I understand that Phoenix has to put that as an option though as I expect he wants our results to be directly comparable to the YouGov poll (by the way, it's 15% who said the next actor has to be heterosexual, not 15 people- 15% of the 633 people asked is around 95 people. Smile)
I voted British and male.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrin Sat 08 Jun 2013, 16:37

Ahh, cheers DS - that would explain the rather odd numbers. Even so, that's quite a shocking figure!

I agree with the points above too - surely the whole point of acting is that you can become someone you are not? In that way, sexuality wouldn't matter. In fact, nationality wouldn't matter either. He is a Time Lord after all, so even British 'understanding' wouldn't matter, just an appreciation of the audience. As long as they could put on a thumping good British accent though, otherwise I imagine people would get peeved. After all, there's nothing worse than a dodgy British accent, a la Sam in Lord of the Ring Rolling Eyes

I wonder if we'd made this a public poll people would have voted differently…

Last edited by Phoenix on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 16:42; edited 1 time in total
Pendrin
Pendrin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  The Professor Sat 08 Jun 2013, 16:49

>>> In fact, nationality wouldn't matter either. He is a Time Lord after all, so even British 'understanding' wouldn't matter, just an appreciation of the audience. As long as they could put on a thumping good British accent though, otherwise I imagine people would get peeved.<<<

yeah, I've always wondered about that... whenever someone objects to an American Doctor, I'm pretty sure they're objecting to an Americanized (spelled with a z, because it's America) version of the show... as if an American actor would suddenly change everything!

If we're going for an American... Michael Rosenbaum. He's AMAZING. Properly, capitalised, amazing.

The Professor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  IRONMAC Sat 08 Jun 2013, 17:27

I would sooner have a black, British, male actor, than a female actress
IRONMAC
IRONMAC
User

Job/hobbies : custom action figure maker

Back to top Go down

Post  TheIronLad Sat 08 Jun 2013, 18:07

Totally agree with you Scazza ! cheers
TheIronLad
TheIronLad
User

Fav' Movie Character : Peter Jason Quill (Star-Lord)

Back to top Go down

Post  BeepTheMeep Sat 08 Jun 2013, 22:21

Why is ginger not on here? Does nobody else want the Doctor to have his wish? Razz

BeepTheMeep
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin's Customs Sun 09 Jun 2013, 13:50

Either way the ginger thing has now been running for 2 regenerations I would expect it to be mentioned in the next one.
Kevin's Customs
Kevin's Customs
Premium Member

http://stores.ebay.com/kevins-customs-store?_trksid=p2047675.l25

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeyard Sun 09 Jun 2013, 21:14

Why isn't Ood on there? Tony The Ood could be the new Doctor! :laugh:
Valeyard
Valeyard
User

Job/hobbies : Student
Fav' Movie Character : James Bond

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:06

It's somewhat irking that there is no 'Female' option, surely that takes more prominence than 'Heterosexual' and 'Under 40'? Thus, I have voted 'None of the above'.

I absolutely LOVE Dame Helen Mirren for a recent statement she made about when Doctor Who should have a female Doctor, and I like how she basically slated the fact that it is a male with a female companion. Got to love that woman. <3

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrin Tue 11 Jun 2013, 14:02

Oswin, you'll notice that all of these options are about what has come before, not what hasn't. This is a poll about consistency, not conjecture. Therefore, this could also be called 'What aspects of the actor who plays the Doctor are most important to you?' and 'Which of these do you want to remain the same?'. Yes, there has been flux within these paradigms, but 'female' would not be applicable in this instance.
Just thought I'd clear that up for you Smile
Pendrin
Pendrin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Jackknight Tue 11 Jun 2013, 16:04

I'd like an older British male. Preferably 40+ Acting wise, I'd prefer him to be a good bit more serious than Smith, maybe even Tennant. And with more of a Hartnell edge to him. I like the Doctor being a little dangerous at times.
Jackknight
Jackknight
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin's Customs Tue 11 Jun 2013, 17:31

Jackknight wrote:I'd like an older British male. Preferably 40+ Acting wise, I'd prefer him to be a good bit more serious than Smith, maybe even Tennant. And with more of a Hartnell edge to him. I like the Doctor being a little dangerous at times.

I don't know about Hartnell... I think someone more Pertwee like would be cool though. I dunno about over 40 but FOR SURE over 30
Kevin's Customs
Kevin's Customs
Premium Member

http://stores.ebay.com/kevins-customs-store?_trksid=p2047675.l25

Back to top Go down

Post  Jackknight Tue 11 Jun 2013, 17:47

A Pertwee-esque Doctor would be great too. Though even he had that hard edge to him where he'd just kill an Ogron if he had to or get fed up with a companion here and there. Poor Brig. Wouldn't mind a return of Venusian karate.

I'd be okay with an actor in their mid to late 30s as long as they played the part more seriously.

Whoever it is though, I just hope they don't keep telling me how brilliant and clever they are. Let me figure that out on my own.
Jackknight
Jackknight
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 11 Jun 2013, 18:51

Phoenix wrote:Oswin, you'll notice that all of these options are about what has come before, not what hasn't. This is a poll about consistency, not conjecture. Therefore, this could also be called 'What aspects of the actor who plays the Doctor are most important to you?' and 'Which of these do you want to remain the same?'. Yes, there has been flux within these paradigms, but 'female' would not be applicable in this instance.
Just thought I'd clear that up for you Smile

"A comedy actor", "A household name" - are they really applicable to those prior to the as of yet unknown 12th Doctor? And I don't really think the poll is specifically pin-pointing aspects of what has been present in actors prior to the 12th Doctor, but more what actors they think should be employed to play the part, and narrowing it down to a select few options for people to pick from. Thus the poll seems a bit narrow-minded, seeing as there is no "Female" option, although on the other hand I understand where you are coming from, but it can be perceived in two different ways.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 12 Jun 2013, 07:49

It wasn't Phoenix's idea to make up these poll questions. Blame YouGov. He's just trying to make it comparable to the YouGov poll to see what the results are.

Back to top Go down

Post  tombaker64 Fri 14 Jun 2013, 19:24

Of all the rumoured actors to take on the role of The Doctor my favourite is Rory Kinnear, even if he is only 35 he looks like he could bring a good amount of seriousness back into the role.What would you like from the new 12th Doctor? Rory-Kinnear-doctor-who-300x199

Last edited by tombaker64 on Fri 14 Jun 2013, 21:00; edited 1 time in total
tombaker64
tombaker64
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 14 Jun 2013, 20:04

He looks like he could be good. To be honest, I'm already bored with it all and just want them to announce the new guy already.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 14 Jun 2013, 21:45

It should be the best person for the job. I don't care if they're British or not (As long as they speak English). It could be Matt Lucas, it could be David Walliams, it could be Mark Gatiss, it could be Whoopie Goldberg. Whoever brings the most to the role for all I care.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next