NerdSoup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unpopular Fandom Opinions

+3
TheIronLad
The Fourth Doctor
Umbridge
7 posters

Go down

Unpopular Fandom Opinions Empty Unpopular Fandom Opinions

Post  Umbridge Wed 06 Aug 2014, 19:33

Share opinions here that the rest of a particular fandom seems to disagree with! It seems that in every fan base there is a view widely held that a small minority disagree with. We all have something we enjoy and/or cherish that everyone else seems to hate, or something we dislike that everyone else seems to love. Razz

For example, the Doctor Who fan base seems to put 'Genesis of the Daleks' and 'Blink' in their top 5 favourite stories, and although I think they are indeed good, I think they're overrated.

I think this thread could reveal some interesting views which will be fun to read, so discuss! Very Happy
Umbridge
Umbridge
Administrator

Job/hobbies : Theology Student
Fav' Movie Character : Darth Vader

Back to top Go down

Unpopular Fandom Opinions Empty Re: Unpopular Fandom Opinions

Post  Guest Wed 06 Aug 2014, 20:06

I dislike the use of Daleks in Doctor Who. I would prefer that they used half android half jumper like robots. 
Kiss and Blessings
The Jumper

Back to top Go down

Post  The Fourth Doctor Wed 06 Aug 2014, 22:38

I don't like Rose as a character in Doctor Who, mainly her series two portrayal. I suppose I hate the idea that the Doctor has a relationship other than strong friendship with companions. I also found her, I suppose, not clever or significant enough for the Doctor to need her when racing around the Universe. Out of the new series, Martha, Donna, Amy, Rory and Clara have been written as being more useful (except maybe Rory: his job is to die every other episode). Laughing 

TFD Big Grin
The Fourth Doctor
The Fourth Doctor
User

Job/hobbies : Doctor Who, Football, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Batman, Star Wars, figure customisation, video making

Back to top Go down

Post  Umbridge Wed 06 Aug 2014, 23:45

The Fourth Doctor wrote:I don't like Rose as a character in Doctor Who, mainly her series two portrayal. I suppose I hate the idea that the Doctor has a relationship other than strong friendship with companions. I also found her, I suppose, not clever or significant enough for the Doctor to need her when racing around the Universe. Out of the new series, Martha, Donna, Amy, Rory and Clara have been written as being more useful (except maybe Rory: his job is to die every other episode). Laughing 

TFD Big Grin

I don't mind Rose personally. I definitely prefer her in Series 1 over Series 2, she turned into a bit of a, well, a crow really. Razz And I definitely didn't like her appearances in Series 4, there was no need to bring her back. She had a good enough send off in 'Doomsday', bringing her back pretty much ruined her Series 2 send off.

As for Rory, although I really like him, I'd unfortunately have to agree... He was really neglected by the Doctor (and Steven bloomin' Moffat) - not as much as poor Mickey was though. Bounce
Umbridge
Umbridge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  TheIronLad Thu 07 Aug 2014, 10:03

Here are my unpopular opinions -
1. Genesis of the Daleks is overrated - A lot of the time I found the story boring and overly long. This usually happens to me with films a TV shows when friends or others highly praise them.
2. Love and Monsters is a good story - I like this episode , don't get me wrong it's not the best Doctor Who episode ever , but, It's a comedy episode. Therefore when I watch it I don't take it seriously , meaning I enjoy it.

Last edited by TheIronLad on Thu 07 Aug 2014, 16:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
TheIronLad
TheIronLad
User

Fav' Movie Character : Peter Jason Quill (Star-Lord)

Back to top Go down

Post  The Fourth Doctor Thu 07 Aug 2014, 12:06

I personally love Genesis of the Daleks. Probably as I can see it from a historical point of view (comparing the Daleks to Nazis and Davros to Hitler and the 'pure race' thing). I mean even down to the Kaled uniforms and little salutes. It is probably my favourite story. I suppose at the time it was a darker tone for Doctor Who. One thing though that kills fantastic stories like this one (Earthshock too) is actually being voted the best story. Everyone then watches, most just enjoy, some love and agree and some hate and wonder why the story is so overrated.

TFD Big Grin
The Fourth Doctor
The Fourth Doctor
User

Job/hobbies : Doctor Who, Football, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Batman, Star Wars, figure customisation, video making

Back to top Go down

Post  Umbridge Thu 07 Aug 2014, 16:24

The Fourth Doctor wrote:I personally love Genesis of the Daleks. Probably as I can see it from a historical point of view (comparing the Daleks to Nazis and Davros to Hitler and the 'pure race' thing). I mean even down to the Kaled uniforms and little salutes. It is probably my favourite story. I suppose at the time it was a darker tone for Doctor Who. One thing though that kills fantastic stories like this one (Earthshock too) is actually being voted the best story. Everyone then watches, most just enjoy, some love and agree and some hate and wonder why the story is so overrated.

TFD Big Grin

Don't get me wrong, I really love the story and I would put it high on my list of favourites (possibly top 20) but it isn't my all time best. It's definitely one of the best written and most interesting stories of Classic Who. I don't dislike it by any means.
Umbridge
Umbridge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  The Fourth Doctor Thu 07 Aug 2014, 16:48

I wasn't saying you did. However, I understand when people really hate a certain franchise, episodes, characters and what have you. Something can become overrated and many who would normally have just liked something end up hating it instead as everyone else goes on about how good it is.

TFD Big Grin
The Fourth Doctor
The Fourth Doctor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  ExplosiveCookie Mon 01 Sep 2014, 11:49

Well then...here are my unpopular opinions:

10 is my least favourite Doctor, I find him too whiny at times and the romance is really not needed...

Rose is my least favourite companion, simple reason because she's a b**ch to practically everyone and was so selfish to mickey.
ExplosiveCookie
ExplosiveCookie
User

Job/hobbies : animation
Fav' Movie Character : Peter Cushing Doctor

https://www.youtube.com/user/TTTEproductions

Back to top Go down

Post  The Fourth Doctor Mon 01 Sep 2014, 11:53

Couldn't really agree more, except I would probably put 5 and 6 below 10. Just personal preference and there's no good reason I can actually think of.

TFD Big Grin
The Fourth Doctor
The Fourth Doctor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  DalekEmperor101 Mon 01 Sep 2014, 18:57

For me, it is ten. Some of his stories were rubbish (I dont think I need to name them Razz)

Though, mostly with the Doctor Who fandom, the only thing annoying me is the attacks on the BBC
DalekEmperor101
DalekEmperor101
User

Job/hobbies : Actor/Writer
Fav' Movie Character : Captain Jean Luc Picard

http://whoviansunited.englishboard.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Umbridge Tue 02 Sep 2014, 02:18

Ahh I like Ten! Probably not as much as I did when I was watching him on broadcast but I still like his Doctor. Although the 9th was my first Doctor, and although I actually prefer the 9th these days, the 10th was the Doc I grew up with and have the most memories of.

One popular Doctor that I'm not the biggest fan of though is the 11th. Just too childish for me. I didn't dislike him by any means - I don't dislike any of the Doctors - and he had some great episodes and some great scenes that I really enjoyed, but I think that he's probably my least favourite of all the Doctors. I'd say the 6th Doctor is my least favourite but I've only seen two of his stories so far, so I couldn't give an opinion on Colin just yet.
Umbridge
Umbridge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  The Fourth Doctor Tue 02 Sep 2014, 08:31

Scary wrote:Ahh I like Ten! Probably not as much as I did when I was watching him on broadcast but I still like his Doctor. Although the 9th was my first Doctor, and although I actually prefer the 9th these days, the 10th was the Doc I grew up with and have the most memories of.

One popular Doctor that I'm not the biggest fan of though is the 11th. Just too childish for me. I didn't dislike him by any means - I don't dislike any of the Doctors - and he had some great episodes and some great scenes that I really enjoyed, but I think that he's probably my least favourite of all the Doctors. I'd say the 6th Doctor is my least favourite but I've only seen two of his stories so far, so I couldn't give an opinion on Colin just yet.

Sort of where I am, but with five and six. I only dislike them as I have only seen scenes with them, not full length episodes. Although they are my least two favourite, ten may drop further if I actually watch 80s stories that aren't Sylvesterrrrrrrrrrrr McCoy.

TFD Big Grin
The Fourth Doctor
The Fourth Doctor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  MarthaJonesFan Tue 02 Sep 2014, 17:13

I really enjoyed Matt as the Doctor. I just didn't enjoy the episodes he was in that much. Excellent actor, bad scripts. If series 6 and 7 were more like series 5, I'd have enjoyed him a hell of a lot more.
MarthaJonesFan
MarthaJonesFan
User

Fav' Movie Character : n/a

http://meetthevamps.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  The Fourth Doctor Tue 02 Sep 2014, 17:19

MarthaJonesFan wrote:I really enjoyed Matt as the Doctor. I just didn't enjoy the episodes he was in that much. Excellent actor, bad scripts. If series 6 and 7 were more like series 5, I'd have enjoyed him a hell of a lot more.

I found it almost the other way round. I thought if series 5 and 6 were like series 7 (not a split season though - I hate those things), I would have loved the 11th Doctor more. Thankfully though, I think all types of fans got some stories with Matt Smith as the Doctor that they could enjoy, being either his first appearances or his last.

TFD Big Grin
The Fourth Doctor
The Fourth Doctor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Umbridge Tue 02 Sep 2014, 17:43

For me I actually found Series 5 a bit iffy, Series 6 was my favourite, Series 7A was gold, and Series 7B really put a dampener on my enthusiasm for DW as I really, really didn't enjoy it. Then I loved the 50th anniversary and it really made me like the 11th Doc, then just a month later I was back to feeling a bit down about the state of DW because of how much I didn't enjoy 'Time of the Doctor'.

Smith's era was unfortunately very topsy-turvy for me. I was never consistently pleased. One minute it'd be crap, next minute it'd be great. If all of his run had been like Series 6 and Series 7A then I'd have probably loved the 11th a lot more.

I guess that's the beauty of the Whoniverse: there's no one set type of story, there's a vast array meaning that fans can enjoy different things. We're fortunate to be part of a very diverse and unique fanbase! Bounce
Umbridge
Umbridge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Pipp Tue 02 Sep 2014, 20:01

David is my 2nd fav Doctor!! I really love him but i can understand why others don't Smile

Pipp x
Pipp
Pipp
User

Fav' Movie Character : Loki

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 10 Sep 2014, 11:52

I know this may sound weird but.... I'm not that fond of the 4th Doctor! I know, don't kill me for it! He's just not my sort of Doctor. He's either really gloomy or really over the top and happy, there isn't much consistency with him!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Fourth Doctor Wed 10 Sep 2014, 14:04

CarrotJuice wrote:I know this may sound weird but.... I'm not that fond of the 4th Doctor! I know, don't kill me for it! He's just not my sort of Doctor. He's either really gloomy or really over the top and happy, there isn't much consistency with him!

I suppose Baker was my first classic Doctor. Also, the stories from his era (and Pertwee's) are so good consistently, that it doesn't matter about the Doctor's character. I can understand people not liking the character. It is weird and not to everyone's taste. I suppose a lot of people like Tennant (myself a little included) because the stories are good. The character doesn't matter.

TFD Big Grin
The Fourth Doctor
The Fourth Doctor
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down